[Amps] 50 or 60 Hz, a problem?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] 50 or 60 Hz, a problem?
From: Will Matney <craxd1@ezwv.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 17:43:44 -0500
Bob,

That settles it then, I'd say Heath built about everything with 50 Hz transformers, or at least after a certain year I imagine. Don't take my word for this though as I may be indeed wrong. One would think that would be the wise decision, selling to both US and foriegn customers. Then, in this case, the transformers are heavier than need be for 60 Hz operation which is a blessing power wise for the iron in it. This in turn means the whole thing will run some cooler on 60 Hz providing the windings wire is sized correctly. The larger hunk of iron acts like a heatsink somewhat absorbing more of the heat of the coil because it will be cooler. This is because the magnetic current in the core itself will not heat the core as hot as would a 60 Hz. The transformer will be farther from saturation this way which is a big plus.

When a transformer goes into saturation, the permeability drops off sharply. The waveform becomes distorted, the inductance of the primary drops creating heat by the increased current drawn from the primary, and the magnetic current rises creating more heat in the iron. Adding more iron, which would be the case above, drops the saturation point and lowers the flux density ( the required number of magnetic lines have more room ). This drops the magnetic current in the core the same as raising a wire size for its current capacity. From this then, running a 50 hz transformer on 60 Hz is a blessing.

Best,

Will

My SB-220 says 50/60 cycle in the introduction.  SB-221 manual also
says 50/60.

Bob W6VY