[Amps] OT: RF Speech Processor Kits - Final Final

To: "Amps@Contesting. Com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] OT: RF Speech Processor Kits - Final Final
From: Ken G3WCS <lists@kentek.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 09:06:34 +0000
Thank you to everyone who contacted me both on and off list.

Quite a lot of folk pointed me to audio clippers rather than RF Processors. Just for the information of the guys who don't know, there is a difference between the two.

An audio clipper simply either compresses or clips (or both) the audio signal. This can (and often does) result in 'whiskers' or splatter which make the transmitted signal wider. This was not the design I was looking for. As my main interest is DX on VHF and having several 'line of sight' locals, this kind of clipper is not acceptable due to the problems it would cause them. I've tried it!

An RF Speech Processor takes the audio from the microphone and converts it to an internal RF signal. The signal is then processed. This method together with it's inbuilt filtration results in a 'cleaner' signal without any 'whiskers'. The signal is then converted back to audio before being fed to the mic socket. The result is a much 'cleaner' clipped signal being finally transmitted.

Once again thanks to all for the input. My conclusions are that I should look out for an old model such as a Datong or Tentec or go for the RF design by DF4ZS, perhaps sourcing the parts myself as the design is available on the web.

Best 73,

Ken.

--

Ken G3WCS <ken@g3wcs.com>