Re: [Amps] OT: RF Speech Processor Kits - Final Final

To: "Amps@Contesting. Com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] OT: RF Speech Processor Kits - Final Final
From: "Kenneth D. Grimm, K4XL" <kgrimm@adelphia.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 09:03:17 -0500
Steve Thompson wrote:
Ken G3WCS wrote:

Thank you to everyone who contacted me both on and off list.

Quite a lot of folk pointed me to audio clippers rather than RF
Processors. Just for the information of the guys who don't know, there
is a difference between the two.

An audio clipper simply either compresses or clips (or both) the audio
signal. This can (and often does) result in 'whiskers' or splatter
which make the transmitted signal wider. This was not the design I
was looking for.

Just for the record, can I mention that the split band audio clipper I referred to isn't a simple compressor/clipper that generates lots of harmonic distortion and splatter. By splitting the audio into sub-octave bands you can clip each one, and then remove the harmonics, before recombining so you end up with the same effect as rf clipping.

Steve

The Split Band Processor designed by Wes Stewart, N7WS, described in Ham Radio back in 1979 and mentioned previously, with the Vomax, is the best audio gadget that I've ever built. It works exactly as you describe above. I was able to mess around with the individual channels to achieve the kind of audio that I wanted. I used it with a Collins KWM-380 and got better reports from it than other folks did running the Collins processor designed for the 380. I've still got it and use it with my TS-940 and Drake T-4XC occasionally. Most of the stuff that I build, I wind up giving away after a while. Not this little jewel! It's a keeper.

Ken K4XL
k4xl@arrl.net

*** BoatAnchor Manual Archive ***
On the web at http://bama.sbc.edu and http://bama.edebris.com
FTP site info: bama.sbc.edu login: anonymous p/w: youremailadr