Re: [Amps] Dentron MLA-2500

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Dentron MLA-2500
From: "Steve Thompson" <g8gsq@ic24.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 15:57:15 -0000
Radioal wrote:
> Let me clarify my question - I intend to pull the entire RF deck out.
> I don't intend to build an amp around the obsolete 8875s already
> there.  The 8875s will be spares for my exixting homebrew 6 meter amp.
>
> The MLA-2500 cabinet and metering, with its compact heavy duty power
> supply, makes an excellent base upon which to house and power any
> similarly small amp design capable of a kW or so.
>
> Does anyone have any pointers toward a reasonably efficient RF deck
> design for 2 meters that would fit in the space left (approx 8" x 14"
> x 5" high)? Triodes are not a must - a simple screen supply is an
> easy fit to handle tetrodes.  There is already a wealth of
> information available on modifying the MLA-2500 in this manner for HF
> - i.e.; screen supplies, cooling modifications, etc.  I also expect
> to replace the open RF relay with coaxial relays.

I think this 4CX800/GU74B design would fit, and the PSU voltage suits the
tube:
http://216.87.144.102/svetlana/TechBulletins/technoteNo42.asp

Whatever happened to www.svetlana.com?

I've had very good results with the W2GN design, but I think the stripline
as designed might be a bit wide and the ht would stretch the tubes a bit.
There's a link for pdfs of the article, although download was ever so slow
when I looked.
http://www.newsvhf.com/w2gn.html

I also remember a 3CX800 design in the ARRL handbook a few years ago that
ought to fit.

73, Steve