Re: [Amps] Want to build first amp

To: KD7QAE@ARRL.NET
Subject: Re: [Amps] Want to build first amp
From: Steven J Fraasch <sfraasch@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 23:14:51 -0600
Tomm:

If it was your first, given your gain requirement (1500w out for 50w in
or 14.8 dB !), I would recommend an 8877 in grounded grid.  That tube
should provide 13 - 15 dB of gain depending on tube and bias.

There is an excellent 8877 design by W8ZR in the 21st ed of the "Radio
Handbook" by Bill Orr, W6SAI )late 70's edition).

I modified a Henry 3K over to an 8877 and was very pleased with the
performance, especially the gain.  One disadvantage of the 8877 is the
relatively long warm-up, about 3 minutes.  It has a reputation for a
fragile grid, but is much more indestructible than is given credit (ask
Rich, AG6K).  I limited the current on mine with a trip circuit to less
than 125 ma with a fairly slow time constant, on the order of 200 ms.  I
never lost a tube to grid failure, and used the 8877 for 16 years.  I
popped the grid current relay a few times due to mis-tuning, but never
lost the tube.  The Henry 4K, Alpha 77D and SX (pair), and Ameritron
AL-1500 use the 8877.

The other tube to consider is a 3cx1200, which is very rugged, has quick
warm-up, but a little less gain, 11 - 13 dB.  But, it is excellent as a
grounded-grid choice.  The Ameritron AL-1200 and Henry 3K Ultra use this
tube.

A pair of 4cx800s is worth considering, but the power supply will be more
complicated adding a screen supply and commensurate protection.  The QRO
HF2500DX, Alphas 91 and 99, and ACOMs use this tube.

Good luck with the project,

73, Steve K0SF