Re: [Amps] RF Chokes

To: "Will Matney" <craxd1@ezwv.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] RF Chokes
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 14:24:00 -0800

On Jan 30, 2005, at 12:47 PM, Will Matney wrote:

David,

There's not much to test that for it's self resonant spot. Take your coil and short out it leads.

Experience has taught me to wire the HV choke in place before testing for self-resonances.

Then use your dip meter and sweep all the frequencies it will be used at looking for a dip on the meter. If your not quite sure about the exact frequency at the dip, use a frequency counter with a pickup loop and place the dip meters coil beside it. It will show the exact frequency the dip meters set to (oscillating at). If you do find a hot spot, moving it to a unused band is accomplished by removing a few turns or even adding them. After that, just recheck it for where it moved to.

Will