[Amps] Choices for valve linear project 1st timer!

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Choices for valve linear project 1st timer!
From: "Simon Steed" <simon@xploiter.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 20:28:39 -0000
Hi all,

I'm a UK ham who is limited to 400W & would like to build my own linear, one
as I've always wanted to play with valves and two because I want to learn
more from the experience.

Now googlising has brought up many designs + I also have a few old magazine
articles for similar. A couple that have caught my eye are:

1/One published in the UK mag Ham Radio Today & was designed by G4JST. It
uses three 4CX250B's with a HT of 1.3kv to produce 400W which is apparently
very linear output. I know the HT is low compared to what it should be so
I'm prepared to uprate it accordingly if this is feasible. I can scan the
article in if any of the more experiences users would like to see it's
design? There are some holes in the article though so it may not be 100%
suitable for my 1st project - I quite like it though :)

2/ Anyways the 2nd I've seen is on
http://www.mbc.co.uk/RADARS/G3RIK/g3rik.htm#linear & uses the Gi-7B valve.
Again not  great deal of constructional info but I've mailed the author so
hopefully he can assist should I need it. The circuit diagram for this beast
is http://www.mbc.co.uk/RADARS/Pictures/HF_Linear/HFLinear1.jpg - again I
need more info, it only shows one valve on the diagram but two are used in
the project - being dumb I'm not sure if I'm totally missing something
here??

OK so I've managed to find a couple of potentially suitable circuits. Are
there any others I could use? For background I'm using a Kenwood TS690S with
10-100W available to drive the linear. I'd like something like 600-800W
output which when I use at the legal 400W limit *should* produce very clean
output power with low spurious harmonics etc. I also don't want to spend an
absolute fortune on the project and also need projects where the components
are available or easily made!

Any suggestions greatfully appreciated!

Regards

Si