Re: [Amps] Why price difference

To: Charlie <ad5th@direcway.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Why price difference
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 13:36:45 -0800

On Feb 3, 2005, at 10:36 AM, Charlie wrote:

I had my AL-80B serviced under warranty (soft tube) at Ameritorn ( I live 70 miles from Starkville and sat next to Rob the tech during the entire service procedure) and it checked out fine for linearity at 1KW pep. Why do you jump on this every time someone posts the rated and observed specs for the AL-80B?

Because a 3-500Z is not linear above about 420mA. Although a 3-500Z can be driven to over 500mA with 100w, to be linear, c. 70w of drive is about it. Mo' drive is no always mo' betta, except on 11m of course, good buddy.

You know I can cruise the freeway at 70mph in a VW or a Ferrari..both do 70 and if the limit was 55 the judge couldn't care less which vehicle I was in. Neither do your contacts.....

Granted, splatter is not important to the people one contacts, but it is important to those on adjacent frequencies. On the other hand, if the judge drives a classic Ferrari him/herself ... ... ...

cheers, Charlie

Charlie Ham Radio - AD5TH...
Richard L. Measures, AG6K, 805.386.3734. www.somis.org