Re: [Amps] IC-718 and AL-811: Icom manual misleading,interface necessary

To: "Will Matney" <craxd1@ezwv.com>, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] IC-718 and AL-811: Icom manual misleading,interface necessary according to Icom technician
From: gdaught6@stanford.edu
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 12:08:02 -0800
Hi Will,

> I wonder if you got a reply from someone that dont know what they're
> talking about by the sounds of it. Heck, a small 2N2222A will switch
> the  load there with room to spare.

The transistor switch is what I use:  I simply installed one in my
amplifier, so it pretty much doesn't care what the source of the T/R
switch signal is.

> Surely, they dont have the
> switching coming  straight off an IC? I dont have a schematic of it
> here to look at and see  what they've done, but that just dont sound
> right. Also, if it has an  actual internal relay, even a small reed
> type at that, it sould switch  that amount.

No, it's not an IC, it's a small relay.  My (contesting) experience
was that the contacts would begin to stick, even when switching well
within their specified voltage & current.

> When they said "either" 16
> volts or 2 amps, but not both, is  a bunch of hogwash. It just sounds
> to me like a ploy to get around  warranty work no matter what!

I don't know.  I've had nothing but good experiences with Icom.  But
the T/R switch output is way happier seeing my 0.6v @ 2ma load than
it was seeing my 12V relay.

73,

 George T. Daughters, K6GT