Fwd: Re: [Amps] IC-718 and AL-811: Icom manual misleading,interface nece

To: "Amps@contesting.com" <Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Fwd: Re: [Amps] IC-718 and AL-811: Icom manual misleading,interface necessary according to Icom technician
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@ezwv.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 16:21:58 -0500
Yes, there is a spike, but one can control that by putting a diode across
the relays coil or a zener diode across the collector and emitter of the
transistor, just a shade higher than the operating voltage. When a spike
develops, it's clamped. A switching transisor for this could be isolated
also, in that it's emitter would only go to an insulated jack on the
transceiver. This way it would only see the relay coil. However, I like
the relay better as it should be used if a higher current rating is
needed. Evidently, that relay in question is a weakling.

Best,

Will