Re: [Amps] 10 DB increase

To: "Radioal" <al.dolgosh@hamradio.org>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 10 DB increase
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2005 03:39:00 -0800

On Feb 4, 2005, at 4:03 PM, Radioal wrote:

A 10 dB increase in power will be propagated as a 10 dB increase - regardless of the state of the ionosphere, antennas, locations, etc.

I used to think that this was the case until I sold the original Plywood Box/8170 amplifier. Even though I had measured the amplifier's voltage-gain as x10 with an oscilloscope (20db power-gain), but on the air, I measured 20 - 23db with my calibrated S-meter. Other people with calibrated S-meters reported the same crazy thing. Others who saw the 23db change said that Stanford (University) Research Institute had observed something similar during their ionospheric heating research project

Instantaneous or rapid cyclical changes in propagation (QSB) can account for some A--->B and B--->A (amplifier/barefoot) differences, but repetitive A to B changes will average out the differences. A difference of 10 dB is unaffected by other factors, except the cyclical changes noted above, inaccurate S-meters or just plain prevarication.

I have heard this sort of thing and my impression was that it was a form of sceptre-kissing.

An increasingly common factor in this distortion of fact is the guy who tells you he is increasing power from 100 watts to 1000 watts - and you see a 15 dB or greater increase. It becomes obvious that his "very linear" tube-with-handles amplifier has somehow broken the 100% efficiency barrier!!

A rose is a rose, and 10 dB is 10dB.

Al - K8EUR
----- Original Message ----- From: "Ian White, G3SEK" <G3SEK@ifwtech.co.uk>