Re: [Amps] Fwd: Pi-L In-circuit Adjustment Question

To: "R.Measures" <r@somis.org>, AMPS <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Fwd: Pi-L In-circuit Adjustment Question
From: Bill Fuqua <wlfuqu00@uky.edu>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 14:01:57 -0500
        Yes, Miller effect is due to the current fed back from the output
to the input of the amplifier. Neutralization nulls out this current this
current. Imagine you have a tube amplifier (common cathode) with a feedback
capacitance of 1 pF. And it has a voltage gain of -10. In other words it
inverts the signal and multiplies the voltage by 10.  The feedback current
would be the same as 11pf across the input (grid to cathode).  Because for
a  1 volt input signal the output of the amplifier would be -10volts (11
volts across the feedback cap.)  thus the current thru the 1pF capacitor
from plate to the input would be 11 times as much for 1 pF across the
input.  Or the effect as a 11 pF across the input. But, if you have no
feedback capacitance you would have no Miller capacitance.
      In grounded grid it is the same due but phase is different.  The
value of the reactance from cathode to ground would be equal to the
capacitive reactance multiplied by (voltage gain-1) Since the input is in
phase with the output. The effective input reactance should be (phase wise)
-capacitive. Or sort of inductive but  reactance would decrease with an
increase of frequency, assuming voltage gain remains constant.
      Miller effect is what made the reactance tube modulators work. They
required a variable mu tube so that the AF into the tube would modulate the
gain thus modulation the Miller capacitance.
      I sometimes mess up on math on the computer because I am used to
doing it on the back of envelopes.

73
Bill wa4lav