Re: [Amps] close to off topic - how to read antenna R + jX ??

To: Dan Sawyer <dansawyer@earthlink.net>, amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] close to off topic - how to read antenna R + jX ??
From: Alek Petkovic <vk6apk@eon.net.au>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 07:01:57 +0800
G'day Dan,

The RF-1 does not actually read display impedance. It will show SWR only.

It can also be used to measure unknown inductance and capacitance. It does
these things extremely well.

Using the RF-1 on the inductance or capacitance ranges whilst measuring an
antenna will give you meaningless results as you have found out. It is not
intended to be used in that way.

If you want to display R + jX, you will need a different machine. I think
Autek also does one of these.

73,Alek
VK6APK

http://www.qrz.com/vk6apk