Re: [Amps] Water cooled amp question

To: "Stan C." <kf6ikc@sbcglobal.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Water cooled amp question
From: "jeryb77" <jeryb77@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 13:37:33 -0500
Stan,
Back in the mid 90's I ran water cooled amps on 903, 1296 and 2304Mhz. These
amps ran 7289's, so you are going to have to "scale up" your setup as the
heat load will be larger but hopefully this will help you get thinking.

I used a "Little Giant" submersible pump purchased from Grainger's and had
it in the bottom of a plastic 5 gallon bucket. You only want to use
deionized or distilled water so you don't kill yourself. The bucket lid had
2 holes drilled in it to run vinyl tubing in and out to the amp. I also had
a transmission cooler that I ran a small muffin fan behind to help cool the
water although it was never really needed. You might want to use something
like a small plastic garbage can.
You will also need to monitor the leakage current to ground, as the water
ages the current will rise and you will need to change it out with fresh
water.

If you go back into any of the ARRL Handbooks of the 90's look for the
article "A Quarter Kilowatt 23cm Amplifier" by Chip Angle N6CA. It was also
water cooled and should help you with some details.

Hope this helps
Jerry