[Amps] 50ohm:200ohm toroidal transformer

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] 50ohm:200ohm toroidal transformer
From: gdaught6@stanford.edu
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 09:07:33 -0800
Hi all,

I'm trying to build a 50:200 ohm broadband transformer for the input
of a tetrode amplifier.  Sevick's book and Measures' website give
instructions for such a 2.4 inch unun.  Sevick says it can handle
over a kW: I only need a 100W job.  The ARRL handbook says a 1.5 inch
version will handle over 100W.  Does anyone have a "recipe" I could
follow to make such a thing?  Requirements are:

a) 50 Ohms to 200 Ohms
b) 3-30MHz
c) low loss (I don't want it heating up and self-destructing)

What core material and what size should I use?  What is the best
place to get one (or two) of the cores? What wire and how many turns
should I use?

I readily confess that I'm woefully knowledge-and-understanding-
deprived in this area!

Thanks in advance for any help!

73,George T. Daughters, K6GT