Re: [Amps] 50ohm:200ohm toroidal transformer

To: gdaught6@stanford.edu
Subject: Re: [Amps] 50ohm:200ohm toroidal transformer
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 09:44:27 -0800
On Mar 22, 2005, at 9:07 AM, gdaught6@stanford.edu wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to build a 50:200 ohm broadband transformer for the input
> of a tetrode amplifier.  Sevick's book and Measures' website give
> instructions for such a 2.4 inch unun.  Sevick says it can handle
> over a kW: I only need a 100W job.

George -- I used a 2.4 inch core because it was large enough to wind
myself without having to hire a lepruchuan.  The amount of extra money
spent for the 2.4" core is minimal.  A caveat -- If the amplifier is to
be used above 10MHz, a Mu=40 core is preferable because Mu=125 cores
begin to saturate c. 13MHz.  In my experiences, sellers of ferrite
cores and sellers of automobiles are comparable in truthfulness.