Re: [Amps] MLA-2500B Question

To: Don Nesbitt <nesbittdr@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] MLA-2500B Question
From: Tomm Aldridge <KD7QAE@ARRL.NET>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 19:51:16 +0000
This is an interesting thread to me not because of the AL-811 vs
MLA-2500 but because I am designing and building an amp.  If I
understand this correctly, using a TS570 transceiver to drive my amp
implies I really don't need a tuned input circuit as I can just use the
built-in tuner of my rig to achieve a good enough match to the input of
the tubes.  That saves me money and complexity.

However, some on this list advise that the proximity of the output C of
the tuned input to the cathode of the PA is very important for its
"flywheel" or energy storage effect during the wide swings in impedance
during a cycle of operation.

My question is, which strategy should one employ and what are teh pros
and cons?  Assuming, of course, a built in AT such as in the TS570.

Regards,

KD7QAE
Tomm