Re: [Amps] Coherent Laser parts info?

To: Gärdin Petter <petter.gardin@aerotechtelub.se>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Coherent Laser parts info?
From: David Kirkby <david.kirkby@onetel.net>
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2005 21:54:33 +0100
Gärdin Petter wrote:
> Hi everybody.
>
> I got a hold of a part for a medical laser with the following written on it.
>
> COHERENT MEDICAL GROUP
> HULL. UK
> Model: 0630-121-01 Rev A
> s/n: 106  MFG DATE: 31-1-89
>
> There seams to be a nice tube inside it and a DRAKE high voltage transformer.
>
> Does anyone have any detailed information or even a circuit diagram for it?
>
> Thank you
>
> 73 de SM3PXO Petter

Coherent are still very much in business, so I expect they will tell you
(at least you might get an unofficial answer anyway). My experience of
their engineers has been very good, although we paid serious money for
them to maintain our Titanium Sapphire laser. I could never align it as
well as them. If I cleaned and aligned it I used to get 600-700mW out,
but their engineer could always get 1W.

My guess is that your laser would be an argon-ion or a Nd:YAG - both are
used for medical work, although there are lots of others that do get
used at times for odd things.

It should have a class on it (class IV being the most dangerous), and I
would expect the wavelength too, which will be in nm. If you can find
the lasing wavelength anywhere, that will most probably tell you the
type of laser it is. Certain lasers only work at certain wavelengths,
although some are tunable.

If there is anything that looks like pipes that might connect to a pump,
be weary of touching them, unless they are obviously for cooling
purposes. Our 10W laser was water cooled - but it did take in 50,000W
input power, so the other 49,990 Watts had to be removed!!!

But dye lasers, in which dye exits from a jet, use dyes which must be
considered cancerogenic - they probably are not, but since nobody knows,
the safe assumption to draw is that they are.

The biggest danger with lasers is the high voltages - not the light. I
was told about 6 years ago by a Coherent engineer that the only known
death from a laser was when one fell on someone!! I would expect in the
intervening period someone has managed to electrocute themselves.

I suggest you put a photograph on a web site and post a link on the
alt.lasers newsgroup. You will likely find someone who knows what it is.

--
Dr. David Kirkby,
G8WRB

Please check out http://www.g8wrb.org/