Re: [Amps] Hipersil, the myth and the truth. (Updated)

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Hipersil, the myth and the truth. (Updated)
From: Ian White G3SEK <G3SEK@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 06:52:31 +0100
Will Matney wrote:
> I also know a guy down in Elizabethtown, Kentucky who makes them and
>has done some work for some ARRL projects. They may be listed in the
>new ARRL Handbook now, I'm not sure. Ed is the guys name but cant
>remember the company right off, some of you might reading this.

Heritage. There's a good example of his work at:
http://www.gareventures.com/amplifier/dxpedition_amplifier_first_challeng
e_1.htm

This is the description of G3WOS's 8877 amp for 6m DXpeditions, which
fits into a pilot's flight case - power supply, blower and everything.
The complete write-up is very well worth reading, at:
http://www.gare.co.uk/amplifier/

Obviously the transformer size and weight was critical to the whole
project, so Chris explains why he didn't choose "the Navy's way" - that
big black object in the steel can weighed 70lb, while the bare C-core
came in at just 18lb.

However, that is a very special case, and it doesn't negate Will's more
general points about transformers for normal home-station use.

--
73 from Ian G3SEK