Re: [Amps] Shorting Sticks

To: AMPS <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Shorting Sticks
From: Tony King - W4ZT <amps@w4zt.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 17:34:50 -0400
I think you all have valid points and a simple combination of your
suggestions will satisfy everyone.

Place Rich's 1000 ohm resistor in the supply with one end connected to
the HV supply in a position so that you can use that shorting stick to
ATTEMPT discharging the supply through the other end of the resistor
BEFORE using it to short the HV supply directly.  ALWAYS, ALWAYS short
the HV supply directly.  If the 1k resistor worked, nothing happens, if
it didn't, you save your life even if you do destroy the IG meter,
resistor or both.

I agree with Bill, never, NEVER put anything in series with the shorting
stick.  Mine is large stranded cable straight to ground from the hook on
the end of the insulated handle. It will easily handle a huge surge to
ground.

73, Tony W4ZT