Re: [Amps] Shorting Sticks

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Shorting Sticks
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@ezwv.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 19:17:07 -0400
Exactly,

That's the very reason I added a volt meter on mine with a seperate ground.
I've had to hit the button 2-3 times just to kill off any residual charge. I
always start at the B+ line and then work my way across each cap watching the
meter until I know it's dead. Then add a shorting wire from B+ to ground while
I'm working on it, removing it to make measurements.

Thing is, if I were working on someones amp, what would one do, tell the
customer I just ruined your caps by shorting them out and now one or all needs
to be replaced? I'll bet they wouldn't pay the bill. That was why I made the
discharger to do it safely and not destroy a component. Always has worked great
for me. Also, preventative maintenance on the discharger, checking it after
each few discharges for proper operation (remembering to put powder in those
hot gloves is the same thing). If not for the voltmeter, one wouldnt be sure if
they discharged or not. That holds true even with a shorting stick just like
you mentioned. The best thing if using one would to be use a voltmeter
afterwards to check for anything left before tipping a thing.

Back years ago in my TV days, discharging the CRT was a common thing. They made
a shorting stick, but I always used my HV probe first. I'd wait until the meter
showed zero, or almost, then use the stick to dead short the anode button to
the aquadag. About 27 kV to now up to 30 kV aint nothing to get bit by.

Best,

Will