Re: [Amps] email the Agilent lawyer .... no manuals on BAMA

To: John Darwin Powers <jdp3@cornell.edu>, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] email the Agilent lawyer .... no manuals on BAMA
From: Colin Lamb <k7fm@teleport.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 11:09:40 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
Although we appreciate the resource of free manuals, and hat to spend $50 for
copies of manuals of an old boatanchor piece of test equipment we bought for
$5, there are valid reasons for Agilent, or any other company, to tighten up on
the free distribution of manuals.

The first concern from their standpoint would be whether allowing people to
violate their copyright while they do nothing would be a waiver of copyrights
on other manuals, which are more current.  I suspect that fear may be the
driving force.

A secondary matter, is that there may be some legitimate companies who have
offered Agilent revenue for the rights to publish their manuals.  That
agreement may require Agilent to enforce their copyright rights against others.

I am convinced that the reason the attorney is enforcing the copyright has
nothing to do with BPL or punishing amateurs.  That conclusion is rather
paranoid.  Sending letters or e-mails to the lawyer will simply confirm that he
was effective in doing what he intended to do.

The copyright is granted to the owner and it may be exercised as the owner sees
fit.   The right may be sold, kept or abandoned.  Whatever decision process
Agilent used, I am sure it was based on a reasonable business decision -
whether we agree with it or not.  Just because we do not agree with it does not
mean that Agilent is an unethical or mean spirited company.

Maybe some of their valuable customers complained.  Maybe they feel it will
interfere with the sale of new equipment.  Our complaining about how Agilent
exercises their rights is like our neighbors trying to tell us how many
antennas we should have up, or how they are decorated.

If you do not like it, buy enough shares to control the company and change the
rules.

Colin  K7FM