Re: [Amps] Resistors

To: David Kirkby <david.kirkby@onetel.net>,Ian White GM3SEK <g3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Resistors
From: Colin Lamb <k7fm@teleport.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 12:47:00 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
I used to want ball bearing fan motors for computers.  However, even though
they may have a longer period without service, they can become noisy.  I have
found that the sleeve bearing fans can be oiled quite easily and continue for a
long time.  The sleeve bearing depends upon lubrication.  In effect, the
bearing is the oil itself.  Without oil, there is no bearing.  Annual
lubrication by removing the label and plug covering the bearing can keep the
bearing going for a long time.  I can often bring a seized bearing back to life
with a removal of the bearing and cleaning of the burned residue and
relubrication.

A few years ago, I came upon a small hydroelectric power plant undergoing
annual maintenance.  The generator used sleeve bearings.  I asked the fellow
how long the sleeve bearings lasted at 24/7.  His answer was "about 30 years".
But they regularly lubricate them.  I no longer make slanderous comments about
sleeve bearings.

73,  Colin  K7FM