[Amps] 3 or 4 wire 240v for amp

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] 3 or 4 wire 240v for amp
From: RadioMB@aol.com
Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 00:06:25 EDT
Hello,
  I have just moved to a new house in FL. I had a 240v line run to the ham
shack. The box contains 4 wires. The normal red and black hot wires, a copper
ground wire, and a fourth white wire. Is the white wire a neutral wire? Since
my
Drake L-7 has 3 wire cord (two hot and the ground wire). Do I now use the
white neutral wire or the copper ground wire as the third wire in the line
cord?
When adding the new plug to the three wires from the Drake do I just not use
the fourth wire? Does this meet code for a 4 wire system? Thanks for your
replies, looking forward to using the L-7 again.

73  Mike  WD5GLW