Re: [Amps] 3 or 4 wire 240v for amp

To: <RadioMB@aol.com>, "Amps Amps" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 3 or 4 wire 240v for amp
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 07:24:43 -0400
The white wire in your electrical box should be the Neutral but you should
verify that you measure approx. 115-120VAC between the white wire and either
side of the 240VAC black and red wires.  Finally, you should be able to
measure near zero ohms between the white wire and the bare ground wire since
the white neutral and bare ground should be tied together at just one spot:
the AC mains load center/breaker box..

The white wire in your box is only used when there's both a 120VAC circuit
(e.g., fan or blower) and a 240VAC circuit.  Most amplifiers will not use
the white neutral lead.  However, exceptions include the Alpha 70 and 77
series as well as some Henry amplifiers.

-Paul, W9AC