Re: [Amps] Alpha 86

To: <SamuelR717@aol.com>, <amps@contesting.com>, <n4dek@triad.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha 86
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 15:11:46 -0400
FWIW, a member of our contest club had problems with massive IMD
interference to other radios caused by bad PIN diodes in a used Alpha 86 he
bought. Being a thrifty fellow, and not needing QSK for multi-multi
contesting, he simply bypassed the PIN diodes with a standard relay-based
T/R switching system (not even a vacuum relay.) Aside from the PIN diode
problem, my understanding is that the RF portion of the amp is excellent and
a real workhorse.

73, Dick WC1M