Re: [Amps] RE : copper or silver in tank circuit?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] RE : copper or silver in tank circuit?
From: "Will Matney" <craxd@engineer.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 12:30:52 -0500
Bill,

That's all I could think it would be used for, where the skin effect increases
with frequency. I'll about bet that military stuff wasn't plated very thick
either, maybe 1-2 mils at the most. The only other place in electronics is
electrical contacts. Gold is just too expensive to be used as a very thick
plating. When I did some gunsmithing years back, I checked on the price of some
small gold anodes for plating small parts. Needless to say, over the cost, I
didn't invest in it. For HF work, I cant see any benefit really, especially if
the coils they're using are still the same size. My opinion is, the gold coils
are there as an extra money maker and sales gimmik in these last Alphas.

Best,

Will