[Amps] Heathkit HA-10 Warrior

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Heathkit HA-10 Warrior
From: Bill Smith <ko4nrbs@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 06:55:21 -0700 (PDT)
My old Warrior has developed a strange problem.  The
plate voltage is low, around 900vdc but sometimes
slowly
creeps up to 1200vdc.  I checked the plate transformer
and swinging choke(disconneted), and bleed resistor
with an ohm meter and
found no shorts or opens.

The plate transformer and swinging choke stay cool to
the touch.

I noticed I had a problem
when the power output dropped to just a few watts.
Appeared ok when the voltage was back up around
1200vdc but dropped back down again.

The 866A recitifers were replaced with 1N2637 plug in
diodes a few years ago.  I am using new 811A tubes.

Also checked the 120vac line, it was ok.  Am going to
borrow a HV Probe and double check the plate votlage
but the low output confirms something is wrong.

Any ideas?
73,
Bill

Bill Smith KO4NR