Re: [Amps] solder vs. High temp.

To: Amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] solder vs. High temp.
From: "Will Matney" <craxd@engineer.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 22:13:18 -0500
Peter,

Yes, I went and looked that up, it is considered a brazing product. They add
cadmium to change the silvers melting point. There's another alloy without
cadmium which melts a shade higher in temperature. The 1150 deg. F stuff is
pure soft silver. The parts always come to a red to bright orange heat when
brazing. You'll see small sparks on some types of brazing like with a brass
rod. I think that's primarily from the flux on the rod. The higher temp brazing
requires the use of shaded glass goggles or a face shield too as the molten
pool is pretty bright and can burn your eyes.

Best,

Will

Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 01:46:31 +0200 (CEST)