Re: [Amps] solder vs. High temp.

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] solder vs. High temp.
From: "Will Matney" <craxd@engineer.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 07:36:22 -0500
From: "R.Measures" <r@somis.org>
To: "Will Matney" <craxd@engineer.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 04:06:03 -0700

> On Jul 25, 2005, at 8:13 PM, Will Matney wrote:
>

> > Peter,
> >
> > Yes, I went and looked that up, it is considered a brazing
> > product. They add cadmium to change the silvers melting point.
> > There's another alloy without cadmium which melts a shade higher
> > in temperature. The 1150 deg. F stuff is pure soft silver.
>
> Pure silver melts at 1761ºF / 960.8ºC.

Your correct, I don't know why I said pure. The 1150 deg. stuff is an alloy
with a high silver content, I think about 50% or so. The hard stuff on the
other end with a melting point around 1450 deg F is around 75% silver. The only
difference I was trying to get across was the difference between soldering and
brazing. Again, why they call high content silver solder, solder, I don't know.

> > The parts always come to a red to bright orange heat when
> > brazing. You'll see small sparks on some types of brazing like
> > with a brass rod. I think that's primarily from the flux on the
> > rod. The higher temp brazing requires the use of shaded glass
> > goggles or a face shield too as the molten pool is pretty bright
> > and can burn your eyes.
> >
> > Best,
> >
> > Will
> >

> > Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 01:46:31 +0200 (CEST)
> >

> >> I use a hand held propane/butane torch to get up to around 700 deg
> >> C for silver soldering with what we call Easiflo 2- about 620 deg C
> >> melting point. That's about red heat.
> >> 73
> >> Peter W6/G3RZP
> >>
> >> --