Re: [Amps] Tetrodes

To: "Ian White GM3SEK" <g3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Tetrodes
From: "Michael J. Tubby G8TIC" <mike.tubby@thorcom.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 02:02:34 +0100
All,

I can't speak for the gas release, but I can speak as the owner of a 2 x
4CX250B
144MHz amp that used to "let go" randomly before I got a handle on the
problem...

I'm talking of 25+ years ago here... a UK design known as the "plumber's
delight"
which was basically a push-pull pair much like the W1SL except the anode
design
was in 2" copper tube....

Anyway, the "failure mode" in the one that I acquired (and debugged) was
that
the grid bias (switched between Vbias and Vcutoff) and the screen (switched
betwen Vscreen ~330V and Ground) was controlled by a pair of double
pole double throw (DPDT) relays -- one per valve -- big octal plug in
units...

The problem(s) were that:

a) while the relay contacts were "flying" (approx 10-20mS) the valve's
electrodes
were effectively open circuit and found their own potential due to
electrostatic
forces on them

b) the two relays were independant -- both controlled from the same source
but timing could vary.

With this amp in its native form (as I received it) it would perform ok for
several
months and then randomly (usually on release of PTT) go "phutttt" and blow
the
anode fuse... sometimes making a soot mark on the screen ring of the tube
socket, very occasionally taking out a tube!

It took me a while to get my head round what was going on (I was 16, new to
high power RF, etc.) but I worked it out... you had something like 2200V DC
on the anode, 0V on the cathode and on TX/RX changeover both the control
grid and screen grid were left open to float for some millisceconds whilest
the
relay contacts were in flight... basic physics suggests that the charge on
the
electrodes will tend towards the average/mean (based on distance/seperation/
capacitance, etc.) of the other electrodes

Basically the amp had the tendany (possibilty) to go in to run-away for a
few
millisedconds each time it swicthed betwen tx and rx. .. I'm stilll
supprised it
didn't fail more often!

I fixed this amp by:

a) hard wiring Vscreen to both tubes (bypassing the relays) - always at
~ 330V DC

b) increasing Vcutoff to about -120VDC

c) using on relay to control Vgrid to both tubes and arranging for a 100K
"pull down" from Vcutoof to the grids such that they could never be open
circuit...

Problem went away... no more random "phuttt" noises and blown fuses - I was
real pleased with myself :o)

Mike G8TIC