[Amps] Relative influence of components to tonal quality (Was: WrongBusi

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Relative influence of components to tonal quality (Was: WrongBusiness)
From: Karl-Arne Markström <sm0aom@telia.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 15:46:23 +0200
In the words of a lesser known competitor to the late P.T. Barnum:
"There is a sucker born every minute..."

It appears that the audio industry can make claims that would make used car
salesmen blush.

This reminds me of an acquintance from my University radio club (SK6AB) days in
the late 70's,
that made part of his living by custom building audio electronics to discerning
audiophilic buyers ("Golden Ears") .
There was a belief that the color of components could affect the "sound", so
quite often a customer would specify that all capacitors should be blue or
green, but not yellow or red...

To say nothing of the pure silver power cords that some specified.

A blow was struck to the "Golden Ears" when a Swedish electronics magazine
published (about 1980) a
throughly made scientific study to show if it really was possible to identify
the quality of components by listening
to the sound from speakers. It was conceived and conducted by a veteran
motion-picture sound engineer
that had grown tired of trying to answer more or less silly questions from
audiophiles about the tonal qualities of different components.

The study was conducted as blind tests, where selected audiences (in a cinema
theater closed for vacations I seem to remember) listened to records played
through either a network with gain = 1 composed of a collection of the most
disgusting components known to audiophiles (color or otherwise), or a straight
piece of wire, and graded the sound quality.

Whether the signal path went one or the other way was selected by a random
number generator,
and the configuration for each run was known only to the conductor of the test.

After statistically evaluating a large number of trial runs (to average out any
"lucky guesses"), it was found that
no systematic preferences could be found for the "better" signal path.

The publication of the results caused several previously very opinionated
audiophiles to keep a very low
profile for some time, and also sent a rocking wave of laughter through the
ranks of the "infidels".

73/

Karl-Arne
SM0AOM