Re: [Amps] Step Start

To: <sccook1@cox.net>, "AMPS" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Step Start
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 11:35:36 -0400
> Seems like the delay would only need to be long enough to limit the inrush
> current to the safe level specified for the tube filament and power supply
> diodes.  In most cases I've encounter, 1/2 to 1 second is plenty.

Speaking of Step-Start circuits, I recommend placing a fuse of suitable size
in series with one of the step-start resistors.  If the circuit "steps" but
fails to "start," which results in a failure of the relay contact closure
around the power resistors, the resistors will super-heat, quickly turn to
shrapnel, and make for one nasty clean-up and repair job.  It's a lot more
fun changing a fuse than a pair of power resistors.

-Paul, W9AC