Re: [Amps] Mobile amp

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Mobile amp
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 12:56:04 -0400
Bill,

What I seen there were the two sets of input and output transformers, a
splitter on the LH side (smallest toroid), and the combiner on the RH side
(largest toroid). On the input transformers, they're the small size on the LH
side and the output transformers are the longer ones on the RH side. There's
two each of these. It's hard to see the transistors as they have them
"strapped" with some copper strip or braid across the emitters. From that, I
cant tell for sure if they have the transistors biased or not. A lot of times a
fan isn't needed if the heatsink is large enough. Adding one wouldn't be a
problem I wouldn't think. One may have to make a new cabinet where it would be
large enough to handle a filter board and maybe a fan on the bottom. This is
what they call a "high drive" type and would be what an amateur needs. The
input power then could be up to say 80-100 watts as you'd be driving 4
transistors or two push-pull sets. The low drive types have a driver
transistor(s).
 That has a variable attenuator on it but I'd say it dont do much for the SWR
between it and the transceiver.

Best,

Will