Re: [Amps] CW and High Voltage

To: "'Steven Cook'" <sccook1@cox.net>, <Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] CW and High Voltage
From: "Phil Clements" <philc@texascellnet.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2005 14:01:45 -0500

> Team,
>
> I've acquired an older Henry 2K-4, which only has one High Voltage setting
> ~ 3500V no load.
>
> It runs a pair of 3-500z triodes and will be driven with ~100W
>
> My question concerns running the amp at reduced output on CW and if it is
> better to:
>
> 1.  Apply full drive, and adjust C1 and C2 until the desired level of
> output is achieved...

This is never done under any circumstances on any mode!

> 2.  Apply full drive, adjust C1 and C2 until maximum power is achieved,
> then reduce the exciter drive without readjusting C1 or C2.

This is correct for all modes.

> What is the ramification of starting out with reduced drive, (like 25 or
> 50 Watts) and adjusting C1 and C2 until maximum output is achieved?

Because the tank circuit is designed to operate at only one impedance
transformation and Q, and it is usually designed at the maximum key-down
anode voltage available and maximum rated anode current for the tube(s).

For best harmonic attenuation, cleanliness, and efficiency, always use
method 2 above.

(((73)))
Phil, K5PC