Re: [Amps] CW and High Voltage

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] CW and High Voltage
From: "Phil Clements" <philc@texascellnet.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2005 00:53:35 -0500

> >> Cutting the drive back too much will indeed cause a good size mismatch
> >and would need to be fine tuned some. The reason being is when the power
> >drops, the plate impedance changes accordingly. I myself don't see any
> >fine tuning for this bad at all.

If you need to cut the drive back far enough to make re-tuning necessary,
why not just turn the thing off! People usually use amplifiers because they
want to increase the quality of their signal for those who are listening, or
turn bad or marginal QSO's into good ones. I have never understood why
people buy an amplifier and then cut it back so far that it becomes useless!
I guess it's an ego thing, just to say you have one.

The best advice I can give on operating an amp is to follow the instructions
in the manual that came with it. If you don't have a manual, get one!

(((73)))
Phil Clements, K5PC