Re: [Amps] YC-156 Triode

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] YC-156 Triode
From: "Larry Carman" <lncarman@swbell.net>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 19:55:25 -0500
I built an HF amp using this tube. I only run it on 20 - 80 meters.
The design is very basic, much the same as most all your GG amps. The
warm-up time is 6 minutes.
I use a tuner prior to the amp for tuning the input. With about 75 watts
in I get 2500 watts out.  My filament transformer didn't have a center-tap
so I improvised a B- by using an artificial centertap made of diodes
connected
to each leg of the filament's secondary. I also used a HV diode to
bias the tube to about 200 mils idle current for SSB. The power supply
consist of two 77 lb transformers in parallel. Each transformer is rated
1 amp at 4KV and has it's own HV diodes just prior to combining the DC
at the two 7500 volt 56 MFD oil capacitors. Filtered HV DC is 5000 volts.
At 2500 watts output the HV drops to about 4600 volts.
It's definitely not a glamorous piece of work but it gets the job done. I
spent very little money on it using whatever I could scratch up and
improvising when needed. The chimney is made from fiberglass heat pipe.
The blower isn't pretty but probably supplies 300 CFM or more and should
be ample for 5000 watts plate dissipation. I can only test to 2500 watts
with my setup.

It was a lot of fun to build.

I have also built a 3cx3000a7 amp. Really like the 3cx3000 tube.

When the serve is back up and running you can see pictures of the amp at
http://www.pinebeetle.net . Click the link on the lower left of the html
page. Sorry, but the pictures are not a good quality.
Best Regards,
Larry N5BIP