[Amps] Alpha 87A Question

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Alpha 87A Question
From: jon s <k9js_j@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 13:50:35 -0700 (PDT)
I am relaying this for my Father (AI9U) who does not subscribe

Last night he was back at his station after a 10 day period of non-use

FT920/Alpha 87A/3 ele Steppir/40_80 Dipole

With the Amplifier Off - but still in line he was using the tuner to match the
dipole, when an "incredible bang" (his words) occured in the amplifier,
tripping the 220V breaker. Upon reseting the breaker, the Alpha powered up but
would not do much else

Anyone ever have something like this happen?

I'm wondering how in the world it could have happened with the power switch
Off.

Anyone care to speculate on a cause?

Guess it is going to be a low power entry in the Phone Sprint for me at his
house tonight, ;-)

Thanks in advance for anyone's help/advice

73
Jon
K9JS