Re: [Amps] Alpha releases New Amp 9500

To: keith@dutson.net, "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha releases New Amp 9500
From: David Kirkby <david.kirkby@onetel.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 22:23:54 +0100
Keith Dutson wrote:
>>The fact still remains RS-232 has been around a long time, and shows no
>
> immediate sign of disappearing
>
> What, other than amateur radio equipment, can be purchased new today that
> uses RS-232 to connect to the PC?
>
> 73, Keith NM5G

Where do you want to start Keith? Here's a short list, ranging from the
cheap (600 VA USP) to the expensive (cesium beam primary frequency
standard).

You will note most are products aimed at a professional market, that
would be expected to last - not things you expect to throw away in a few
years.

** Pulse generator **
http://www.avtechpulse.com/gpib/

** 40 MHz handheld scope **
http://www.escience.ca/circuitT/RENDER/0001/C8/3071/11839.html

** Synthesised clock generator **
This is listed in the new products.
http://www.thinksrs.com/products/CG635.htm
it has RS-232 and GPIB as standard, with no USB option.

**OVEN**

A commerical oven with a temperature range of 30 to 70 deg C.
http://www.wisoven.com/lab3.htm
(RS-232, no USB option).

**UPS's**

600 VA UPS
http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=SC620I
(no USB, only RS-232)

6000 VA
http://www.apcc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=SUDP6000I&language=en&LOCAL.APCCountryCode=nz

I can't find the Compaq web page for the R6000 6 kW UPS, but there are
plenty of places selling it new - i.e.

http://geek.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=94517

I know that has RS-232, as I own one. There is no USB on that at all.
RS-232 is standard, ethernet is extra.

** Lock in amplifiers **.

A 200 MHz lock-in amplifier
http://www.thinksrs.com/products/SR844.htm

**GPS timing receiver ***

http://www.symmttm.com/products_gps_xli.asp

About 3 months ago I bougth a Motoroal M12+ GPS timing receiver. That
has RS-232. Motorola have stopped all their GPS products, so it is no
longer available, but was current a few months back.

** Rubidium Frequency standard **

http://www.thinksrs.com/products/PRS10.htm
(again I own one of these, but it is still available new).

** Cesium beam frequency standard (i.e. *expensive*) ***
Cesium beam primary frequency standard
http://www.symmttm.com/products_pfr_4065C.asp

(the manual is at

http://www.symmetricom.com/support/download_manual.aspx?DocID=438

where if you search on RS-232 you fill find it. I've not bothered
searching for USB, but I very much doubt a bit of kit as expensive as
that would have USB.)

73's

--
David Kirkby,