Re: [Amps] Power cord to use when converting AL-80B to 240 volts?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Power cord to use when converting AL-80B to 240 volts?
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2005 18:49:05 -0400
I forgot to ad this,

If you have a cord with a plastic cord grip, I always take this out. I then
open up the hole for a romex clamp like fits in a 1/2" conduit hole in a box.
These take a 7/8" hole if I recall for 1/2" conduit. Anyhow, you install the
cord you want up to the maximum size that will fit (this can be a big cord).
They will hold SO type cord up to 14-3. Just tighten down the two screws on
each side of the clamp and you have it. The clamp has a nut on the back like
you take a screwdriver and hammer to tighten. Once snug, I generally solder
this nut to a steel chassis. On an aluminum, you cant though. The clamp at a
hardware store costs a whole 0.50 cents at the most. Some older amps used these
same clamps before plastic became popular. Matter of fact, any new amps I made
had these if they had any size to them at all. For small amps say around 500
watts and less, I used a computer type power cord with either the end cut off
and used the wire, or bought them with a stripped end already
 made. That is for an amp running 115 Vac with around 10-12 amps. Anything up,
I used the flat extension cords, like the grey colored ones which use a shade
bigger wire. You can get them as either extension cords and cut off the female
end, or buy them with only the male end on them. The 220 Vac range cords are
about the same except the plug is for a 220 Vac recepticle. For 110-220 Vac
circuits, use un-insulated forked stake-ons to connect to the terminal strip.
Don't just crimp these but solder the joint so the stake-on will never come
off. That's why you need the uninsulated type. If you ever want to change back
to 110 vac, simply rewire the transformer and chage out the cord.

Best,

Will