[Amps] alpha 87a and Pro II question

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] alpha 87a and Pro II question
From: Dan Eskenazi <desk@nwlink.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 20:52:40 -0700
Greetings from Seattle....

have a technical problem im hoping i can find an answer to here on the
reflector.
I recently noticed my 87a tripped and gave me FAULT #1  something about a
Rcv PIN...
i have been using a newly bought PRO II and wonder if it is a function of
some adjustment i may need to do to the PRO II
its a 1990 Alpha 87A.

The symptom is that it faulted the first time when i had unwittingly had
the drive on the PRO up to full..100w.
the fault then continued to happen when i would use VOX on ssb, or QSK on
CW...ie the initial RF going into the amp would trip it. I usually drive
the amp w/ about 40-50 watts.

However when i use the PTT on the mic and pause before speaking, the amp
works fine. ....also when i push the XMIT button on the rig and THEN send
cw it also works fine.

I hope there is something simple i can cure this with, as I dont want to
give up QSK and VOX.

I should have started this message with the fact that Im QCAO...Quarter
Cent. Appliance Op....and not technically minded one bit.

any plain english help would be greatly appreciated...
im reachable at desk@nwlink.com

ps: I called Alpha and they said "send it in".... im hoping to avoid that.

73
Danny K7SS