Re: [Amps] zink primer

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] zink primer
From: "John- W4DJ" <w4dj@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 23:45:23 -0400
The Green Primer in Industrial Painter terms is "Wash Primer" and is used on Aluminum parts from Airplanes to Railings. I have used thousands of gallons of this Primer on many different Aluminum parts..
Being an Industrial Painter I use this on all Aluminum cabinets.
I don't know if you can buy it at say home depot but I know you can get it at Sherwin Williams Industrial paint store or an Auto Body Paint supply store.

First you need to wipe the parts down with MEK to clean the surface and to remove any grease or oil. I would then put on a pair of latex gloves to handle the parts after that to keep the oil from your hands off of the parts.
Oil and Paint don?t mix well and you can get ?Fish Eyes? Little dots if the parts are not properly cleaned.
This will insure a good adhesion of the paint.
You can see what I did on my Alpha 78 Amp Restoration.
http://www.qsl.net/w4dj/alpha2.htm

The Proper way of Priming and cleaning Metal parts for paint is a Dip Tank system but you need to be in a shop to have access to those systems.
GL with your project.
73s de John W4DJ