Re: [Amps] Drake L4 with 3-400Z photos

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Drake L4 with 3-400Z photos
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 12:42:25 -0400
Bill,

Your correct! Back in the day of tube type and hybrid TV sets, they were
shielded really good. The tuner and IF strip all had very good shielding, and
used a metal chassis. The cabinets then had aluminum foil glued all around the
insides, especially floor models. When they started to cheapen the cabinets
down in the early 80's, and go with strictly plastic console models, they
started skimping on the shielding to where now they hardly ever use it. About
the only thing with any shielding any more is the small combination tuner/if
section. There's no metal chassis anymore and everything is on a large PC
board. One of the best cures on new TV's and VCRs is to buy shielding foil and
liberally apply it yourself. Connect the shielding to the aquadag on the CRT
and down to the main ground on the chassis. Really, an extra ground should be
added to the line ground as where everything now is a hot chassis (no power
transformer) which makes it worse. Other equipment like computer, monit
 ors, printers, etc needs this done also as you will hardly see any shielding
in any of them.

Best,

Will