Re: [Amps] AC wiring

To: Gudguyham@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] AC wiring
From: Jason Buchanan <jsb@digistar.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 08:09:19 -0400
Gudguyham@aol.com wrote:

>This brings an interesting thought, the line voltage  entering most homes
>today vary widely.  I have seen as low as 115 volts and  as high as 123volts.
>On the other side 230volts and as high as  246volts.  I personally have 236
>volts and a friend of mine has  245volts.  My amp at his house puts out more
>power as a result of  this.  Of course this is why he beats me in pile-ups  :-)

Not so lucky here - I've seen it dip as low as 108 here and rarely reach
120.  In the winter the sag isn't so bad but the average voltage is
usually around 112V.  When the electric company is having a good day and
my supply voltage is at 120V my L4 plate voltage is somewhere around
3100VDC and I see another 100 watts.  But I never run things as tight as
a snare drum anyway.

Which brings up another point - in '98 there was a message thread about
a guy who bought a new Dahl transformer for his L4 and managed to get
another 300 watts or so out of it by way of the higher plate voltage it
provided.  I wouldn't mind doing something like this for the sole
purpose of being able to reduce my exciter output and running everything
at a lower duty cycle.  Not sure if this is feasible or worthwhile but
thought i'd ask.

73 jason N1SU