Re: [Amps] 3-500z

To: "Jason Buchanan" <jsb@digistar.com>,"sb200" <sb200@optonline.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 3-500z
From: "Mike Schatzberg" <cherokeehillfarm@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 09:33:40 -0400
Hello Jason:

>From the Ameritron Catalog:

      Model # Description Price
      AL-80B 1 KW Output Linear Amplifier w/ 3-500ZG Tube on 100/110/120V
for US

My old SB 220, which I have to admit I have heavily modified, and uses
Chinese Graphite Donut Triodes, does about 1100 PEP, sending a string of
dits at about 35 wpm, with only one tube installed.  The Amp really loafs
along at 1.5 KW with about 80 watts of drive.  I don't have enough power
supply to get more than about 1,700 to 1,800 PEP into a dummy load with both
triodes.  I doubt that the components would like it very much anyway.

By the way, thank you Mr. Measures for your sequenced vacuum relay switching
circuit, which I used in that amp.  I must have used it over 12 times so
far, last time using the Chinese vacuum relays from Gigavac, in an amp with
a trio of 3cpx800A7s.  I use two vacuum relays rather than your reed relay,
with some modification of your circuit.  The Chinese relays handle the full
output and are fully the equivalent of the Kilovac HC-1.  Gigavac has
special pricing for radio amateurs.  Your EBC circuit works great too.

The specs may perhaps be wrong for the AL 80B, I never have worked on one
here.  But I don't believe that it is the only commercial amp with specs
like this with the Eimac/Chinese Triode.  I think the old Heathkit single
tuber was specified the same way.

73 and Happy Dxing,

Mike
WB2AJI