Re: [Amps] Mobile high power

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Mobile high power
From: PA3DUV <pa3duv@planet.nl>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 00:47:34 +0200
Philip, others,

Concerning this specific generator: it seems that due to a special
innovative construction of the rotor, this induction machine is able to
generate a lot of power out of a small package. The 8.5 kW version takes 14
Hp from the engine cranckshaft. Tha makes it entirely different from the
standard alternators and a very interesting option to get a rather compact
electric power plant in an automobile.
However, after reading the dcumentation it seems to fit only in full size
trucks, SUV's and service vans. In many European cars, with front wheel
drive and crankshaft perpendicular to the centerline of the car  there is
most likely not enough space for this generator.

Creating a stiff 14 V DC for approx 1500 watt out can be done with rather
standard techniques. I run two 70 mm2 welding cables from the stock
alternator (a 100 amp alternator) to two 80 A/h Exide gell cell batteries in
the trunk and have no problem getting approx 1100 watt out on 80 meters from
the Henry SS750.  See http://www.qsl.net/pa3duv/mobtrunk.html

Cheers, Dick
PA3DUV