Re: [Amps] Mobile high power

To: HAROLD B MANDEL <ka1xo@juno.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Mobile high power
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 10:18:40 -0700
On Oct 28, 2005, at 8:18 AM, HAROLD B MANDEL wrote:

> The trouble in applying extra battery loads to hybrid vehicles
> might be that the main battery is matched to the car drive
> mechanism such that maximum economy and speed/weight ratios
> would not permit huge appliances without deteriorating the system.

In a Toyota Prius, the gasoline engine starts automatically to run the
generator when the 200v  battery potential drops below a certain point.
  Also, I see no 12v battery in a Prius, so everything that runs on 12v
appears to come from a 12v output, 200v input switcher PS.

> >There's no such thing as a free lunch, so I wonder if the charging
> system could keep up with an extra big demand....

How many kW is extra big, Hal?