Re: [Amps] SB-220 load capacitor question

To: johna8119-amps@yahoo.com, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] SB-220 load capacitor question
From: Colin Lamb <k7fm@teleport.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 10:56:25 -0800 (GMT-08:00)
The pi-network is really a transformer.  So, a change in the output capacitance
could be based upon a change in the input characteristics as well as the load.
Is the voltage correct?  Are both tubes the same color?  Are any of the turns
shorted?

If thee is no logical explanation, it could be an illogical one.  If a friend
comes over and you go out of the room, does it still tune the same?  Do you
have any confessions you want to share with the group that might cause the
amplifier to act in such a manner?  Have you had this effect on amplifiers at
club stations?  Have you ever been rejected for a dxpedition, even though you
put the money up front?

You can work backwards and play with the amp offline (unplugged and plate
shorted).  Put a resistor equal to the plate impedance from plate to ground,
then use a MFJ or Autek (or other) bridge on the output and see where you get
50 ohms.  Is the plate tuning control where it should be?

In the end, if you cannot find the results you expect, you need to keep asking
dumber and dumber questions.

Colin K7FM