Re: [Amps] Question about safety ground connection

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Question about safety ground connection
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 13:09:30 -0500
Rich,

Same here if I'm only running 240 vac and don't want to pick up 120 vac from
it. Three wires is all you need in that case. If you want the availibility to
get either voltage (120 or 240), I run the 4 wire so I have a different frame
ground wire than using the neutral. Actually, the NEC says the neutral and
ground supposed to be seperate even though they tie together in the breaker
box. In romex though, you'll have a red, black, white, and bare ground wire.
Then when you transfer from romex to SO, the bare ground turns to green. The
NEC wants to see all recepticle boxes, and junction boxes grounded with the
bare, then carried on to chassis ground on the equipment. It will work other
ways, but in house wiring, I always want to know a neutral isn't hot unless
it's going to a switch leg which I think is the only NEC exception to the rule.

Best,

Will