Re: [Amps] Question about safety ground connection

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Question about safety ground connection
From: "Neal Sacon" <neal@sacon.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 14:17:29 -0800
The "120-0-120" is a little confusing. Is it a 240v receptacle? If so, then
you have two "hot" legs and one ground (hopefully). A 120v household
receptacle, on the other hand, will have two "flats" and one "round." The
round should be wired to the ground bus at the panel (aka the breaker or
fuse box), the short flat should be wired to one of the two hot legs at the
panel and the long flat should be wired to the neutral bus bar at the panel.
If the panel is the main panel, then the neutral bus bar should be bonded to
ground; if it's a sub-panel, it should not be, and in any case, the panels
should have earth grounds. I suppose I'd refer to that as 120-0-0. The
voltage b/t the short flat (aka the "hot" wire) and either the long flat or
the round s/b 120 v nominal. The voltage b/t the long flat (aka the "hot"
wire) and the round s/b zero.

I didn't understand the rest of the question.

73 Neal N7RX